Hi All! I am safe in Okinawa, Japan and I am loving it!
My flight left Cedar Rapids airport on Saturday morning. It was a very rough start to my adventure... I was not feeling well and had gotten sick quite a few times before I boarded. I walked onto my plane and it was the tiniest thing ever! There was one row of seats, an isle and then two rows of seats. I wanted to walked right off! I then continued to be sick on the airplane... I felt so bad for the lady next to me. Lucky for me though there were a few other camp staff flying with me and taking care of me. A few hours later we landed in Texas. We had a two hour layover there so I took a little nap. Soon after that, we began bording our thirteen-fourteen hour flight. I didn't sleep at all on Friday night and I had taken a few dramamine so as soon as I was on the plane and in my seat I was out... I even slept through the take off and everything! The flight there wasn't as bad as I thought. I slept for the majority of the time and when I wasn't sleeping I was watching movies. We landed in Tokyo in the late afternoon. From there we had to get our luggage, grab a bus to another airport, wait for 3 hours and finally flew into Okinawa.
This week we have been pretty busy with camp stuff. We all got our military ids, sat in on a newcomers orientation, began and finished programming for our camp weeks, got cell phones and painted posters. My camp group had a chance to go off base and eat dinner. Of course everyone wanted to go to a sushi place so we did. I absolutely do not eat cooked fish, so I was not about to eat raw fish. I just sat, drank my coca cola and watched everyone else eat. I did slightly attempt to try a sushi roll... it was terribly disgusting! Last night a few girls and I went to a sports bar and grill for karaoke. We literally had just sat down when a flock of guys came over and started talking to us. We are not allowed to drink at all the first two weeks of camp so we did karaoke completely sober! That was a first for me =) Another girl and I were the first to sing. We sang Love Shack! I thought of Jenna and Lovie of course!!! Later on a few of the guys pulled me on stage to sing Don't Stop Believing... they were pretty impressed by my vocals...haha! Then today during our lunch break, some girls and I went to Subway (by the way subway was my first meal in Japan...go figure) and Jared, yes the subway Jared was there. We got a chance to meet and take pictures with him. It was pretty cool.
All is going good so far! =)
Friday, June 5, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

4 comments:
sounds like fun...wish I could be there with you!! It sounds like you are feeling right at home with Subway and all :) Karaoke is right up your alley too...but I can't imagine doing it without drinking...way to go Lishy!! I will talk to you soon..keep busy, it will make the time go faster!!
Love ya,
Aunt Beera
Seriously you went to Japan for Subway? Have fun!
Glad to hear you made it ok my dear Godchild. Your Godchild and I (as well as the rest of the fam) would like to send you something. Is there anything you need in particular?
We Miss You..
Jolene and Danica
By the way.... We Love You!!! :-)
Post a Comment